Flooding – Helping to Volunteer.

People wishing to help make sure you have protective gear like waterproof gloves and trousers. Flood water is dangerous and full of diseases.

The Council’s official advice is that they are having a planning meeting to discuss volunteering today (see details below). This is woefully hopeless as People need help now. I spent all afternoon yesterday helping someone clear out their basement, and helping them with some food. There are countless people like this in need of help.

There is a Facebook group where people are organsing themselves to volunteer and help. This social media page is the best way to help people directly. Please please please be safe, wear protective gear, to avoid contact with flood water or flood water contaminated objects. Wash your hands before eating food afterwards etc – The facebook group is here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/cvcsg/

Rally points for Volunteers are – White Lee Park in Mytholmoryd, Central Methodist Church in Hebden Bridge and the Town Hall in Todmorden. If you are unable to volunteer please consider making a donation to the flood relief fund. – https://localgiving.com/appeal/Flooding

The Council’s official advice is listed below

Flooding FAQs

Where can I report instances of flooding or damage caused by flooding?

The Council has opened its Contact Centre for urgent issues and flooding reports. It will be open 24 hours on 01422 288001 between 9.30am-5.30pm and 01422 288000 outside of those hours.

At what point should I leave my home?

We advise residents to stay in their property and move upstairs if possible rather than leaving. If you do move upstairs, please inform the Council on the Contact Centre numbers above, so we’re aware of the worsening situation and can be ready to help. If you can’t leave the property safely please contact the emergency services on 999.

Is it safe to travel?

Travelling should be avoided. Driving through water is dangerous at the best of times and we have had reports of missing manholes hidden under the flood water and mud, making driving conditions especially treacherous. In addition, clear roads will make the recovery operation much quicker and easier for our dozen teams currently out cleaning up. If driving is unavoidable, please go slowly through surface water. Driving too quickly creates waves which can lead to more flooding.

What should I do if I can’t get to my home?

Please try to stay with friends or family if at all possible. If not, we have rest centres around the region at Ebenezer Centre Halifax Central, Northbridge Leisure Centre Halifax Central, Todmorden Town Hall and Hebden Bridge Town Hall. Homeless people should try to reach the Contact Centre, who will put them in touch with local homeless services.

Which roads are closed?

Here is a list of current road closures in the borough. Please see social media and check back on the website for updates.

North Dean Road, Copley – Closed after Copley Bridge collapse

Scout Road, Mytholmroyd – Closed due to landslide

New Road, Blackshaw Head – Closed near Stiperden Bank due to landslide in Lancashire

Footbridge between Bridge Lanes to Hebden Vale Centre, Hebden Bridge – Footbridge closed

Towpath East of Woodhouse Road, Todmorden – Canal towpath closed near Woodhouse Road

Footbridge between Hollins Mill Lane and playing fields, Sowerby Bridge – Footbridge closed

Stubbing Drive, Hebden Bridge – Road Bridge is damaged but is open

Can I volunteer to help?

We’re very grateful for all offers of help, but we need to make sure the response is coordinated safely so resources can be used where they are needed the most. The priority so far has been in dealing with the emergency situation, but as that improves we are turning our attention to the recovery effort and our fantastic volunteer support. On Monday 28th December a volunteer coordination and business support group will meet and form a plan and updates will be given through social media and the website.

I’d like to donate, what type of things are needed?

The situation in severe instances of flooding changes quickly, which makes money the best type of donation as it can be used wherever and however it’s required. The Community Foundation for Calderdale has set up a Just Giving (link is external) page.

Clean up materials such as shovels, brushes and protective clothing are always welcome and should be taken to our drop in points: Ebenezer Centre Halifax, Christ Church Sowerby Bridge, Best Practice Training Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge Town Hall and Todmorden Town Hall.

When will my power come back on?

Northern Power Grid has had significant issues across the northern region caused by flooding. In Calderdale we are aware of power loss to about 900 homes, affected by sub stations being underwater in some areas of the district. We are continuing to speak with Northern Power Grid for updates. Northern Power Grid has had difficulty with access although all roads should now be passable. Residents with online access can check their status here (link is external). Please don’t attempt to turn your power on until you’re sure it can be done safely.

Where can I dispose of flood damaged equipment?

The Council has sent a number of skips around the worst affected areas that people can use to dispose of damaged equipment. If you can’t access one, Council Waste Recycling Centres are open, except Hebden Bridge Waste & Recycling Centre which is currently closed for safety reasons (we will update this page and our twitter account when it reopens). Council will look to remove discarded and damaged items residents leave outside their homes as soon as possible and the items should be clearly marked as needing removal.

Are my family and I safe around flood water?

Flood water poses a number of threats to health and safety. See the Council’s guide for comprehensive advice.

What should I do regarding my insurance claim?
Contact your insurer as soon as possible. Try not to move damaged items, as your insurer may need to inspect them. If possible take photos or video damaged property to give to your insurer.

What can the Council supply to help residents with the clean up?

There are a limited supply of resources at our drop in centres at Ebenezer Centre Halifax, Christ Church Sowerby Bridge, Best Practice Training Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge Town Hall and Todmorden Town Hall.

Are bin collections running as normal?
Where possible we will keep to the rounds as advertised on the website.

My business has been flooded and I cannot trade. Can I get any support?
The Council is organising an assistance pack for business, to be announced shortly.

Where can I get water?
Please contact Yorkshire Water with any en
quiries relating to access to water.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *